Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Mac and Cheeze

So my second post is going to be Vegan Mac and Cheese and Hot dogs.

There are tons of different ways to make it but this is mine.

First pick your pasta, the one I am using is Jerusalem Artichoke Elbows.

For the Hot dogs I’m just using Yves Hot Dogs.

I’m adding veggies to this as well, the same frozen pea and carrot mix from the scramble and fresh spinach.

The cheese sauce is where it can get tricky.

I’m using:

  • Daiya Vegan Cheese
  • A Nutritional Yeast Sauce
  • White Miso dissolved in Veggie broth
  • And Tofutti Cream Cheese.

Other Ingredients I am using will be rice milk and earth balance vegan butter.




First put your water on to boil.

While it is heating up wash your spinach

Dissolve the miso in veggie broth.

I’m using about a table spoon in a half and about 2 cups of broth.

White miso has a cheesey flavor so it works nicely in this dish.


I’m also going to get my nutritional yeast sauce mixed up, about ¼ cup nutritional yeast, ¼ cup whole wheat pastry flour and about 1 cup of water, mix until mostly dissolved.


Get your hot dogs cut up as well

Once the water is boiling add your pasta and cook according to the package.

Once it is done strain and run cold water over it so it doesn’t continue cooking

Ok now put the pot back on the stove and turn it on, add a bit of either vegan butter or oil, I’m using Earth Balance brand vegan butter, add the frozen peas and carrots, cook about 5 minutes then add the spinach, cook until wilted, turn it off for about 5 minutes and add the lemon juice, then leave it off for another 5 minutes so it can absorb and not turn bitter.


Turn the stove back on add the hot dogs, pasta, then add the nutritional yeast sauce, it will thicken with the heat, once it has thickened a bit add the white miso*, mix together then add the cream cheese however much you like.





Then I added the rice milk, I have a little carton of it so I added the whole thing, you want to add about a half a cup to one cup, depending on how creamy you want it.

Once it is all mixed up I added the daiya, I used a big handful of both the cheddar and mozzarella.

Mix and cook until it is nice and melted.

And whala vegan Mac and Cheese.


I love this dish because it is another dish you can make ahead of time.

Later tonight I will be turning it into Baked Mac and Cheese, by putting it in a casserole dish and baking for 20 minutes in the over. I’m still debating about putting bread crumbs on it, I have this amazing rosemary sourdough bread I will use if I do.

*If it is a bit soupy put the cover on and let it cook for 5 minutes it will cook down, also add some flour that will thicken it up

Like I said before there are other ways to make this, depending on your area and what you can get.

I find Follow Your Heart vegan cheese works very well for this. I’m not a fan of I any other way but as a sauce, it never seems to melt for me unless it is shredded and melted on top of the stove.

It comes in many flavors so you can make 3 cheese mac and cheese with it if you wanted.

As well there is a brand of cheese dip called Wayfare Food, there dip is called we Can’t say It’s Cheese, if you can get that, you can use it instead of the cream cheese.

Depending on your where you live will depend on what you get, just make sure when you get “cheese” read the ingredients and make sure there is no casein, whey or any other animal bi-products in it.

1 comment:

  1. Whew, that's a pretty labor intensive recipe for Mac n Cheese! Looks delicious though.

    ReplyDelete