Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Comfort Food

In this edition I am making good old comfort food with a twist.
For me comfort food is anything with potatoes.
For me potatoes are the ultimate comfort I eat them mashed, smashed, fried, baked, scalloped, as long as it is vegan I'll eat it.

So to go with my potatoes i made Roasted Veggies and Balsamic Tofu.

First thing I am going to talk about is the balsamic tofu.
Press and cut the tofu for how long and whatever shape you like, I prefer triangles.
Mix up a marinade, for mine it's Balsamic Vinegar, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Veggie Broth, A Touch of Water, Celery Salt, Pepper, and Mrs Dash.
I mixed it all together and poured over the tofu.



I let it marinate for a few hours then flipped them.

A few hours later I pulled them out and put them in the baking dish to bake for about an hour, flipping half way through.


For the roasted veggies use whatever you like. I used Onion Broccoli, Carrot and Cauliflower but I'm using the cauliflower for something different so I roasted that on a separate pan.

Now your potatoes, boil them like you normally would. Now here is the twist I will be mashing the cauliflower into the potatoes. I found mashing veggies into mashed potatoes tastes great and for people who don't like veggies it will mask them so they don't know. I normally boil celery root with the potatoes and roast turnip as well but they didn't look that fresh at the store I was at so I skipped that.

I took my immersion blender and blended the cauliflower init the potatoes while still leaving some of the potatoes in pieces to be lumpy since I prefer them that way, but if you like yours whipped whip them completely. Then I added Vegan Cream Cheese and some salt/pepper/Mrs Dash. Mixed it all and put it in a casserole dish so I could bake it up.


And here is the finished product. Just good comfort food for a raining lazy day or when you are having a bad day.

No comments:

Post a Comment